Autumn Food Tours
Excursions highlight the season
Join us on a delicious fall Food Tour, or schedule your own private Food Tour to celebrate the holidays with co-workers, family, or friends November/December (private afternoon excursions for groups of up to 15 available weekdays.) For more information or to book, please visit our reservations page.
Above: Sunshine squash at Milk and Honey Green Grocer
Below: divine pumpkin fudge (a must try!) and other sweet treats at Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie on a recent Salem Food Tour.
Our New YouTube Channel!
Salem Food Tours In the Kitchen
We are delighted to announce the launch of our own Salem Food Tours YouTube Channel. Our short clips will be a fun and informative way to learn about local gems, what’s happening in our area culinary world and beyond, the craftspeople and fantastic chefs, that make our area so unique, and tips and tricks in the kitchen, and more!
Our first video features Sharon Martin of Ceramaloy Carbide Sharpening, Co. in Salem, MA. Ceramaloy are experts at knife sharpening – good sharp knives are a kitchen must. This shop is definitely a North Shore gem!
What is all the fuss about having good sharp knives? We asked Sharon Martin, owner of Ceramalloy, an expert who has been doing this work since 1966. First and foremost she says, sharp knives actually safer. “When you work with a dull knife it’s far easier to slip and get cut.” says Martin. Second, it makes prep time faster and easier, and folks swear by the results. “We have had several generations of people bring their knives in for sharpening – they tell us their parents and grandparents came to us…. and we love when folks bring in the entire block of knives – we can do all of them, even the serrated ones.” Indeed, ceramalloy sharpens all types of blades, including scissors, garden tools, etc.
Ceramaloy is the only sharpener of it’s kind in our area and do pick-ups in multiple Ace and True Value hardware store locations across the North Shore, including Cape Ann, so you can drop at one of those locations if you can’t make it to their Salem shop.
If you’d like to drop off directly they welcome that too. They can sharpen while you wait or you can drop and pick up later (photo: finished knives are wrapped in newspaper.) Ceramaloy is located at 69 Bridge Street in Salem and are open Mondays – Saturdays. The pricing is extremely reasonable, and if you have a good set of knives, the upkeep is well worth it.
SFT: When buying new knives, what should you look for?
Martin: You want something that is a mix of stainless and carbon steel, it’s going to hold a good edge. Also, you want a blade that goes all the way down the handle.
SFT: What’s the best way to keep knives at their best?
Martin: The rule of thumb is wash, rinse and dry wipe immediately after using, never let them soak in water. That preserves the knife.
SFT: How often should one sharpen knives?
Martin: Twice a year. A good way to remember is right before the fall/winter holidays and right before spring holidays. Basically when you start feeling like you are pushing instead of slicing, and when you see the silver, (see video), you know they need sharpening.
SFT: Okay, we have to ask the obvious question, do you cut yourself a lot?
Martin: (smiles), not at work, only at home. At work, you quickly learn to respect the knives.”
Local Food News…
Thanksgiving Pie, Pastry and Turkey ordering
- Turkey pre-orders are being taken at Milk & Honey. Ordering Deadline November 12th. Stop in or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or (978) 744-6639. Choices: Misty Knoll Small Farm Fresh Turkey, $4.99/lb; approx sizing: 12-16#; 16-20#; 20-24#; 24-28# and 28-32# available; Misty Knoll Boneless Breast 6-7 # avg $7.99/lb. OR Bell and Evans Fresh Turkey, $3.99/lb; approx sizing: 12-14#; 14-16#; 16-20# and 26-32#. Credit Card number is required at the time of ordering.
- Milk and Honey seasonal pie orders: place by Sunday November 24th. Pick up is Wednesday November 26th. Orders Must be picked up by 7pm closing. These pies are made from scratch with the freshest local ingredients: 9” Apple Frozen 19.99 each or Baked 21.99 each; 9” Pumpkin Frozen $19.99 each or Baked $21.99 each; 9” Pecan Frozen $23.99 each or Baked $25.99 each
- A&J King is taking orders from November 1st-21st during regular business hours.
Payment is required at time of ordering and pick up is either Tuesday November 25th during regular business hours or Wednesday November 26th from 7am-Noon. Click for details.
- Jodi Bee Bakes is currently on vacation but will return order emails after November 17th. They will once again be offering delicious seasonal favorites with lots of gluten free and vegan options as well. Click here to go to their online menu.
- Melita Fiore is taking holiday orders now. Click here to view their menu, or contact them to find out about additional seasonal items. Orders for Thanksgiving must be placed by November 20th.
Fall Catering & Thanksgiving Day options
- The Lobster Shanty continues their time-honored tradition of a family style all-you-can-eat sit down Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day itself. The Shanty will open on Thanksgiving at 8am for pastry and Bloody Mary’s; the meal will be served around 2pm. Prix Fixe, pastries are gratis. Reservations are definitely encouraged (click for contact info.)
- Caffe Grazziani cooks up delicious Italian party platters with classics such as Chicken Parmigiani, pasta, and more. Click here to go to their online catering menu.
- Comida Mexican Tacqueria Catering/Chef Tables and Party Platters: They offer savory fresh prepared items (not just Mexican) they not only cater to Salem-ites, but can deliver to other North Shore/Boston areas. Contact them for more information: (978) 594-8220.
- Gulu Gulu Cafe Catering: Offers a wide variety of party platters and can cater to dietary preferences as well, including vegan and gluten free options. They can also host a crepe station! Their new online catering menu will be on their website soon. For now you can email or stop on by to grab a printed menu. And their sister restaurant, Flying Saucer Pizza, is always a terrific option for party take-out options.
- Longboards offers delicious party platters all year, with both their standard favorites and ever-changing seasonal items available. Click here to view menu, call them for additional seasonal offerings. 24 hour notice on most platters. Don’t forget to include their super delicious homemade Giardiniera – a must for your party table.
- Milk and Honey can put together fabulous cheese and other types of savory platters together using fresh local ingredients. Contact them for more info. (photo: fresh baked bread topped with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olives on a recent Salem Food Tour.)
November 9th-13th & 16th-20th
Restaurant Week in Salem
Salem restaurants are gearing up for Restaurant Week(s), and the menus look fantastic! Click here to scroll through the participating establishments and their special menus. It is a great way to sample all the fresh fare Salem has to offer, and try that new place you’ve also wanted to dine at.
Salem Winter’s Market 2014
November 13th – December 18th on Artists Row
Late season kale (the best!), spices, berries, root vegetables, farm fresh eggs, meats, homemade pastries, breads, fresh gourmet pasta, fresh locally made cheeses and more – the perfect fixings for a great fall meal. Pick up these items and more every Thursday at the Salem Winter’s Market. This year, the Market will be located on Artists Row. It’s the most delicious way to support local businesses! To view a list of participating farms/vendors, click here.
Salem Food Tours
In The News…
The November Food issue of Northshore Magazine is one of our favorite issues’s of the year. You’ll find delicious stories cover to cover. This year, we were happy to participate in a terrific feature on the Salem’s illustrious spice trade history, along with Salem historian Jim McAllister and Salem Spice owner David Bowie. You’ll also read stories on Tour Partners Milk and Honey Green Grocer, Finz Seafood, and Far From the Tree Cider.
Our Second Anniversary
Heartfelt THANK YOUs to all!
We were so pleased to celebrate our 2nd anniversary in September. Thank you to our friends and all our wonderful guests! Thank you for the support of local organizations such as Destination Salem, Salem Chamber of Commerce, and Salem Main Streets, as well as Mayor Kimberley Driscoll! Thank you to our Location Partners: The House of Seven Gables, The Witch House, The Phillips House Museum and The Pickering House! Thank you John and team of Creative Salem! And so many others. Special thanks to our AMAZING Tour Partners – the extraordinary group of shops and restaurants who make Salem such a delicious place to live, work, and visit!