Winter in delicious Salem, MA
Local Food News
January offerings &
Our Food Tour Partners are cooking up some delicious winter fare. Support local businesses this winter, eat local and shop local! To view all of our wonderful Tour Partners, please click here. Salem is a great destination city in the winter, with a walkable downtown and waterfront area; hotels such as The Hawthorne Hotel, Salem Waterfront Hotel, the new Merchant Hotel and B&Bs like Northey House offering special packages. Dine, shop, stay, play and visit one of our wonderful museums (see sidebar right.)
Tour Partner news: early January Olde Main Street Publaunched their Sunday brunch menu. Click here to read the offerings (scroll to bottom.) We can’t wait to try the Stuffed French Toast. Shown here on a recent Tour: a tasting of their delectable Smoked Gouda and Goat Cheese Fritters with lemon aioli, available on all menus.
On Wednesday January 27th Food Tour Partner Bambolina
is hosting a special pop-up 9 course family style dinner with acclaimed guest Chef Mary Reilly formerly of Enzo Restaurant in Newburyport and current publisher and editor-in-chief of Edible Pioneer Valley
. For more information, please visit their Facebook event page
.Winter Food Tours:
We absolutely LOVE winter tours! There is nothing like ducking in and out of welcoming shops and restaurants for warm food or a glass of wine. Our Tours run rain, snow or shine. So put on your coat, grab friends, and join us on a delicious excursion!
Photo: at A MANO
in Salem, ending a Food Tour by candlelight with a great glass of wine.
Looking to do a Salem Food Tour this winter?
Please visit our reservations page
for information and Tour booking. Tours also make terrific team outings. Email us
to craft your special excursion for your small group.
: Kindly note that Tour Partner Scratch Kitchen
is taking their annual winter break and is returning February 2nd… Jodi Bee Bakes
is closed for their winter rest January 4th-20th… Melita Fiore
is on a quick break January 3rd-8th…. Jean Louise Pasta Shop
reopens January 15th… and the The Lobster Shanty
will close for
the winter January 14th and reopen April 1st. Stop on by, drink the last of something for the season, and get your name on the “Wall of Fame.” 🙂
1st annual Salem Comedy and Spirits Festival
Lift your spirits and LAUGH the cold away with this four-day celebration of the craft of comedy in historic Salem, MA! This new Festival features great comedians from all over New England and beyond as well as local spirits and cider from Tour Partners Far From the Tree Cider and Deacon Giles Distillery and great dinner shows. Thursday, opening night, includes a dinner at Koto (click for menu), and Saturday is a Triple Headliner VIP “Dinner with the Comics” at Opus Underground (click link for menu.)
Says Festival Producer veteran comedian Mark Scalia: “This is a unique opportunity to raise everyone’s spirits in winter and create fantastic memories for both the audience and the talented comedians we are honored to have performing.” Visit the Salem Comedy and Spirits Festival for more information and for tickets (advanced tix purchase highly recommended!)
Thursday, January 14th – January 17th, 2016.
Celebrating Cheese in January
National Cheese Lovers Day is
Wednesday January 20th
For all of our fellow cheese lovers, we wanted to share some of our favorite cheese infused bites. Photo left: Stop on down to Tour PartnerThe Cheese Shop of Salem, where the team can guide you through cheese Heaven. Or, grab a table atThe Naumkeag Ordinary and enjoy a Cheese Plate with Chef’s favorite current seasonal picks from The Cheese Shop. More cheesy goodness we love (random order)…
- The Cheese Danishes at A&J King Bakery – a perfect, yummy take on this sweet classic.
- Eggplant Agrodolce at A MANO – with fresh buffalo mozzarella, eggplant, currents, capers and pinenuts.
- Cheese Quesadillas at Comida Mexican Taqueria – so good with their fresh homemade pico de gallo.
- The Blistered Shoshito Peppers at Bambolina – with Marcona almonds, goat cheese and sea salt
- Flying Saucer Pizza Company – we have fallen in love with “The Engineer”, the white sauce, spinach, artichokes and roasted tomatoes perfectly pair with the Saucer cheese blend and goat cheese.
- Jean Louis Pasta Company – Fresh homemade Cheese Tortellini. So good.
- Life Alive – Order the savory warm Green Goddess with cheddar cheese, you’ll thank us.
- Milk and Honey Green Grocer – Their stellar Tomato, Basil, Pesto sandwich is still a favorite of ours, but we are also digging the herb and garlic nut based cheese you can find in their fridge case. Delicious alternative.
- Olde Main Street Pub – has an appetizer that Chef Tim can’t take off the menu or there would be a mutiny: Smoked Gouda and Goat Cheese Fritters with
- New garlic flavored cheese sticks at Longboards are baked on their famous Flatbread dough.
Nachos – there is something magical about the nachos at Brodies Seaport, shown here a tasting on a recent Food Tour. It might be their smoky homemade salsa Mike makes, or their super fresh toppings.
Find Salem Food Tours on Facebook, Twitter and Trip Advisor.